Mr. F.J. Reid, distinguished scientist
Hook, carpenter 1935
The Amys families links with Barton Turf have been traced back to 1327. Thomas Amys who died in 1495 and his wife Margery have memorial brasses in Barton Turf Church.
The Balderos had estates in Barton from 1654 to 1726.
The Baldwins were present in Barton Turf through most of the nineteenth century.
The Baispooles owned estates in Barton from 1559 to 1657.
William Blake was a farm worker whose hobby was making corn dollies during the 1930s and 1940s.
William Cook owned land and lived in Barton from around 1493 to 1524.
There have been Coxes in Barton Turf since the beginning of the nineteenth century.
Sarah Custance married Anthony Norris and her niece Susannah Durrant inherited Barton Hall on her death in 1787.
There have been Drakes in Barton Turf since at least 1881.
Susanna Durrant inherited Barton Hall on the death of her aunt Sarah Norris.
Four brothers from the Doyley family were drowned with others in Barton Broad in 1781.
John Francis left money in his will to found the John Francis Charity for the poor of the parish.
James Haylett was the last basketmaker in Barton Turf. He died in the 1940s.
George Knightley owned William Cook’s estate from 1524 to 1563.
Philip Lewgar owned the estate of George Knightley from 1563 to 1568.
Lubbocks lived in Barton Turf from at least the eighteenth century through to the twentieth century.
The Matchams lived in Barton Hall from 1787 to 1791.
There have been Neaves in Barton Turf since 1818.
The Newtons owned the estate that later became Barton Hall from around 1612 to 1700.
The Norris family owned the estate of the Balderos from 1726 and owned and occupied Barton Hall from 1728 to 1787.
The Peel family has owned Barton Hall since 1943.
There were Platfords in Barton Turf from at least 1817.
The Preston family owned and occupied Barton Hall during a good part of the nineteeth century.
The Salmon(s) families were present in Barton Turf from at least the 1830s.
The Salmon-Coxes were a branch of the Salmon(s) family that began with Jacob Salmon-Cox who was born Jacob Salmons in 1843. The Salmon-Coxes were the founders of Cox’s Boatyard.
Shepherds lived in Barton Turf from around the middle of the nineteenth century.
Michael Trubshawe owned Barton Hall between 1935 and 1943.
Between 1700 and 1712, Colonel Samuel Venner built the house that was to become Barton Hall.
The Watts families’ associations with Barton Turf can be traced back to the early 1600s.
Charles Mayes Wigg was a twentieth century Broadland artist who at one time had a studio at Rose Cottage, Barton Turf.
A big family from 19th butterfly box
John Wood was the owner of Barton Hall between 1918 and 1935.
Yaxleys have been in Barton Turf since the early 1800s and have links with many other Barton Turf families.